HelloFresh Canada Review: Bang Bang Tofu Bowl
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
Soooo….I wan’t going to post this recipe today but I literally just finished making it (and eating it) and I felt the need to share it ASAP. I am 100% in love with this Bang Bang Tofu Bowl from HelloFresh Canada. Oh my goodness…..it was so dang good. I ate it in record time. My HelloFresh Canada delviery this past week has been a huge hit. One of my favorite recipe deliveries to date!
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Bang Bang Tofu Bowl with Edamame and Avocado
This Bang Bang tofu bowl is a festival of flavours! We’ve stepped up every element of this lively dish. From cilantro avocado salsa to sweet and spicy sriracha mayo, each colourful bite is a delight.
- 250 g Extra-Firm Tofu
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 56 g Edamame
- 3 unit Radishes
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- 1 unit Avocado
- ¾ cup Jasmine Rice
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 unit Green Onions
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 7 g Cilantro
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- In Step 5, use this heat guide to determine what spice level you prefer (dbl for 4 ppl): 1/2 tsp mild, 1 tsp medium, 1 1/2 tsp spicy and 2 tsp extra-spicy!
- Wash and dry all produce.* In a medium pot, add 1 1/3 cups water (2 1/2 cups for 4 ppl). Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, cut radishes into 1/4-inch pieces. Thinly slice green onions. Roughly chop cilantro. Pat tofu dry with paper towels, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- To the boiling water, add rice. Reduce heat to low. Cook, still covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 12-14 min. When rice is done, fluff with a fork. Stir in edamame, half the vinegar, half the cilantro and 1/2 tsp sugar (dbl for 4 ppl). Season with salt.
- In a zip-top bag, mix cornstarch and sesame seeds. Add tofu and toss to coat. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tbsp oil, then tofu. Pan-fry, turning occasionally, until golden-brown, 7-8 min. (Cook tofu in two batches for 4 ppl, using 1 tbsp oil for each batch!) Transfer tofu to a medium bowl.
- While tofu cooks, peel, pit and cut avocado into 1/2-inch pieces. To another medium bowl, add radishes, avocado, half the green onions, remaining vinegar, remaining cilantro and 1/4 tsp sugar (dbl for 4 ppl). Season with salt and pepper. Stir together, then set aside in the fridge.
- To the tofu, add sweet chili sauce. Toss to combine. In a small bowl, stir together mayo, 1/2 tbsp water and 1 tsp sriracha (dbl all for 4 ppl) (NOTE: Reference Heat Guide in Start Strong). Set aside.
- Divide rice between bowls. Top with crispy tofu and avocado mixture. Sprinkle over remaining green onions. Drizzle over sriracha mayo.
Thoughts: I’ve made quite a few tofu dishes in my day and this is definitely one of the best. The sweet chili tofu was amazing, I will definitely be making it again. The avocado salsa cooled things off and the sriracha mayo was the perfect topping. The recipe was easy to make, only one pan (and a rice cooker) needed, which I love, and the final result was so delicious. I ate it in record time.
HelloFresh Canada nailed it this past week with their recipes. I am beyond impressed and am already looking forward to my next delivery.
HelloFresh is a meal kit delivery service! We plan, prep, shop, and deliver fresh ingredients straight to your door!