HelloFresh Canada Review: Beyond Meat Veggie Taco Bowl
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
It’s a VERY exciting day here at the AYOB office. It has been quite some time since our last HelloFresh Canada review so I’m exited to start sharing it with you again, but I’m also VERY excited about the fact that HelloFresh Canada has officially added Beyond Meat to their menu. Can I get a woo hoo?! This is the best news ever for us vegan and vegetarian subscribers. I have been dying to try Beyond Meat and today I get to! It also appears as though the veggie menu has expanded. I believe there use to be 3 options each week and now there is 4.
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Beyond Meat® Veggie Taco Bowl with Mexican-Style Red Rice and Crema
A deconstructed burrito? Yes, please! Delicious Beyond Meat teams up with hearty Mexican basmati rice, crisp kale slaw and citrusy lime crema.
- 2 unit Beyond Meat®
- 6 tbsp Sour Cream
- 80 g Roma Tomato
- 113 g Kale Slaw Mix
- 1 unit Lime
- 2 unit Green Onions
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp Mexican Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- ¾ cup Basmati Rice
- 85 g Tortilla Chips
- 6 g Garlic
- 3 tbsp Oil*
- ¼ tsp Salt and Pepper*
- ½ tsp Sugar
- Don’t have a garlic press? Lay the garlic cloves on a chopping board, then place a chef’s knife on top and press down firmly to crush. Finely chop the garlic.
- Wash and dry all produce.* Thinly slice green onions. Cut tomato into 1/4-inch pieces. Zest, then juice half the lime. Cut remaining lime into wedges. Peel, then mince or grate garlic.
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tbsp oil, then half the garlic, tomato paste and rice. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 1-2 min. Add 1 1/3 cups water (2 1/2 cup for 4 ppl). Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low. Cook, still covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 12-14 min.
- While rice cooks, heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tbsp oil (dbl for 4 ppl), then Beyond Meat. Break up patties into bite-sized pieces, then add Mexican seasoning and remaining garlic. Cook, until slightly crispy, 5-6 min. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from heat.
- While Beyond Meat cooks, in a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp oil (dbl all for 4 ppl). Add kale slaw mix and tomatoes. Toss to combine. In a small bowl, combine lime zest and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When rice is tender, fluff with a fork. Stir in half the green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Divide Mexican rice between bowls. Top with Beyond Meat and sprinkle over cheese. Top with kale slaw and a dollop of lime crema. Sprinkle over remaining green onions. Crush over some tortilla chips and squeeze over a lime wedge, if desired. Serving remaining tortilla chips on the side.
Thoughts: I can’t even tell you how excited I was to make this recipe. HelloFresh Canada may have secured a spot in my top 10 subscription box list due to the fact that they have added Beyond Meat to their menu. This was my first time trying it and let me tell you, it lives up to all the hype. The entire recipe was pretty darn good, and super easy to make. While the rice and Beyond Meat were cooking I worked on the salad and crema. I split the meal in to 3 portions, as I usually do when the Husband is away, and I substituted the sour cream and cheese for vegan friendly versions that I keep in my fridge most of the time. The kale slaw mix was the perfect addition to the taco bowl and the lime dressing and lime crema pulled everything together. I would definitely make this again. In fact, I decided to put together a binder of my favorite meal delivery recipes and this one will be on the first page.
What do you think of HelloFresh Canada? Are you a subscriber?
HelloFresh is a meal kit delivery service! We plan, prep, shop, and deliver fresh ingredients straight to your door!