HelloFresh Canada Review: Satay Tofu Noodles
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
We recently reviewed our May HelloFresh Canada delivery and now we are showing you the last of three recipes from our monthly delivery.
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Satay Tofu Noodles with Bok Choy and Carrots
Fresh and light meet peanutty heaven in this tofu miracle! This dish brings all the yummy flavour of Thai take-out to your table before the delivery could even arrive!
- 200 g Extra-Firm Tofu
- 120 g Ramen Noodles
- 400 g Shanghai Bok Choy
- 170 g Carrot
- 1.5 tbsp Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 unit Lime
- 10 g Garlic
- 2 unit Green Onions
- Getting a crispy, golden exterior on the tofu cubes is the key to making them delicious. To accomplish this, dry the tofu cubes as best as you can with paper towels. (Dry tofu cubes will crisp up better than damp ones.)
- Wash and dry all produce.* Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Cut the bok choy into 1-inch pieces. Mince or grate the garlic. Thinly slice the green onions. Using a peeler, peel the carrot lengthwise into ribbons. Juice half the lime, then cut the remaining lime into wedges.
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels, then cut into 1-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil, then the tofu. Pan fry, turning the cubes occasionally, until crispy and golden-brown all over, 6-7 min. Transfer the tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Add another drizzle of oil to the same pan, then the carrots, garlic and bok choy. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender-crisp, 2-3 min.
- Meanwhile, add the noodles to the pot with the boiling water and cook until tender, 2-3 min. Drain and rinse the noodles with cold water to prevent the noodles from sticking to each other. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, vegetarian oyster sauce and 1 tbsp honey. Gradually whisk in the soy sauce, lime juice and 3 tbsp water. Toss in the the veggies, tofu and noodles.
- Divide the veggie noodles between bowls and drizzle over any remaining sauce from the bowl. Sprinkle over the green onions and squeeze over a lime wedge, to serve.
Notes: This is one of my favourite kind of recipes to make. Fresh veggies, peanut sauce and noodles. Come to think of it, I use this sauce quite often when I cook. I keep all the ingredients on hand and use it anytime I make a stir-fry dish that needs a little more flavour. My recipe arrived with spinach as a substitute for the bok choy because they had to make a last-minute change but I went to the store and picked up some bok choy myself because it’s one of my favourite veggies to cook with. The end result was really nice. The tofu was crisp, the sauce was flavourful and the portion sizes were perfect.
HelloFresh is a meal kit delivery service! We plan, prep, shop, and deliver fresh ingredients straight to your door!