HelloFresh Canada Review: Squash, Kale & Marinated Bean Salad
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
I’m spending the week getting to know HelloFresh Canada. I’ve received this box a couple times prior to this week, but I am really paying attention to the process and all the details this time around. I’m taking my time and enjoying getting to know what HelloFresh is all about. Two days ago I did a regular review and showed you what the box looks like when it arrives. Today we are looking at recipe #1 of 3. I will post the other two recipes shortly.
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Squash, Kale and Marinated Cannellini Bean Salad with Apricot-Sherry Dressing
The key to balanced flavour in any recipe is the combination of acidic, salty and sweet. This recipe has all three and is therefore great. The End! No, but seriously, once you’ve tried this apricot-sherry vinegar dressing, you’ll be putting it on everything. Roasted onion, crunchy walnuts and buttery white beans add richness and texture, making every mouthful a delicious experience.
- 340 g – Butternut Squash
- 113 g – Red Onion
- 113 g – Kale
- 1 can – Cannellini Beans
- 28 g – Walnuts (Tree Nuts)
- 2 tbsp – Apricot Jam
- 2 tbsp – Sherry Vinegar
- 10 g – Garlic
- 1.5 tsp – Dijon Mustard
- 28 g – Dried Currants
- Olive or Canola Oil*
- 1 tsp sSugar
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (to roast the squash and onion). Start prepping when the oven comes up to temperature!
- PREP ONION – Wash and dry all produce. Peel the onion, then cut it in half, keeping the core (root end) intact. Cut each half into 1/2-inch thick wedges, keeping part of the core in each piece. (This is what will help the onion wedges retain its shape when roasting!)
- ROAST VEGGIES – Toss the squash with sugar and a drizzle of oil on one side of a baking sheet. Toss the onions on the other side with the a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the centre of the oven, stirring halfway through cooking, until golden-brown, 25-28 min.
- MARINATE BEANS – Meanwhile, mince or grate the garlic. In a large bowl, whisk together the apricot jam, vinegar, mustard, garlic and a drizzle of oil. Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans to the dressing and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate.
- PREP – Meanwhile, run hot tap water over the kale in a strainer, then squeeze out the water. (This will help to tenderize the kale!)
- TOAST WALNUTS – Heat a small pan over medium heat. Add the walnuts to the dry pan. Cook, stirring often, until golden-brown and toasted, 3-4 min. Set aside on a plate. (TIP: Keep your eye on them so they don’t burn!)
- FINISH AND SERVE – Add the roasted veggies, kale, walnuts and currants into the beans and dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Divide the salad between plates.
Notes: I ended up liking this recipe more than I thought I would. I made it for lunch and it was the perfect meal. I opted not to toss the squash in sugar, but other than that I stuck to the recipe. It was flavourful, light, but filling at the same time. I would definitely make this again.
HelloFresh is a meal kit delivery service! We plan, prep, shop, and deliver fresh ingredients straight to your door!