HelloFresh Canada Review: Warm Mexican Bean Bowl
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
We recently reviewed our November HelloFresh Canada delivery and now we are showing you the second of three recipes from our monthly delivery. Oh, and if you aren’t familiar with HelloFresh Canada you can get all the details in THIS POST.
Coupon Code: Use Coupon Code YEAR3FP to receive 3 FREE plates on your first order at HelloFresh.ca! – CLICK HERE
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Warm Mexican Bean Bowl
You may not look at black beans the same way again after you’ve tasted this aromatic and zesty version of a Mexican classic! We’ve sourced the best ingredients and show you all the tricks to maximizing flavour. From our heady Mexican spice blend to using both the zest and juice of sweet lime. Even the rice gets a hand with fresh cilantro and our fuss-free tangy guacamole is the perfect topping.
- 56 g Red Onion
- 1 box Black Beans
- 10 g Garlic
- 230 g Yellow Bell Pepper
- 100 g Baby Gem Lettuce
- 130 g Roma Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Mexican Seasoning
- 1 unit Vegetable Broth Concentrate
- 1 unit Avocado
- 10 g Cilantro
- 1 unit Lime
- ¾ cube Jasmine Rice
- PREPARE INGREDIENTS: Wash and dry all produce.* In a small pot, bring 1 1/3 cups salted water to a boil. Mince or grate the garlic. Core, then cut the bell pepper into 1/2-inch pieces. Thinly slice the baby gem lettuce. Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces. Peel and cut the avocado into 1/2-inch cubes. Drain and rinse the beans. Zest, then juice the lime.
- COOK RICE: Add the rice to the boiling water. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover with a lid, and cook until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed, 12-14 min.
- COOK VEGGIES: Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil, then the red onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until just golden, 2-3 min. Add the garlic and Mexican seasoning. Cook until fragrant, 1 min.
- COOK BEANS: Add the tomatoes, beans, broth concentrate, half the lime zest and 2/3 cup water to the veggies. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans and tomatoes soften and most of the liquid is absorbed, 4-5 min.
- MAKE GUACAMOLE: Meanwhile, roughly chop the cilantro. In a small bowl, use a fork to mash together the avocado, 1 tbsp lime juice and the remaining lime zest. Stir in half the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- FINISH AND SEVER: Fluff the rice with a fork, stir in the remaining cilantro. Divide the rice, lettuce and black bean mixture between bowls. Top with the tangy guacamole.
Notes: The second recipe from our November delivery was a hit. It only took about 30 minutes to make, had really nice flavour, and only 521 calories per serving. The cooking difficulty was level one. It was extremely easy to make. All we did was put the rice in the rice cooker, fry up the veggies, add the beans, make the guacamole, plate and serve. This is a recipe I would definitely make again.
HelloFresh is a meal kit delivery service! We plan, prep, shop, and deliver fresh ingredients straight to your door!