HelloFresh Canada Review: Smoky Halloumi with Cool and Crunchy Tabbouleh
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
We recently reviewed our November HelloFresh Canada delivery and now we are showing you the last of three recipes from our monthly delivery. Oh, and if you aren’t familiar with HelloFresh Canada you can get all the details in THIS POST.
Coupon Code: Use Coupon Code YEAR3FP to receive 3 FREE plates on your first order at HelloFresh.ca! – CLICK HERE
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Smoky Halloumi with Cool and Crunchy Tabbouleh
Tabbouleh is a Middle Eastern dish traditionally made Veggie with lots of parsley, tomatoes, mint and bulgur wheat! We’re putting our own twist on it with the addition of cherry tomatoes and apples, served with smoky pan-fried Halloumi cheese!
- 113 g Bulgur Wheat
- 200 g Halloumi Cheese
- 2 unit Lemon
- 113 g Cherry Tomato
- 28 g Red Onion
- 10 g Mint
- 10 g Parsley
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika-Sumac Blend
- ½ tbsp. Honey
- 1 unit Gala Apple
- Wash and dry all produce.* In a small pot, bring 3/4 cup salted water (double for 4 ppl) to a boil. Cut the tomatoes in half. Finely chop the parsley and mint leaves. Cut the apple(s) into 1/2-inch cubes. Zest, then juice the lemons. Cut the halloumi into 1/4- inch thick slices.
- COOK BULGUR: In a large bowl, combine the red onions with 1/4 cup lemon juice (double for 4 ppl). Set aside. Add the bulgur to the boiling water and remove from the heat. Cover with a lid and let stand until the bulger is tender and water has been absorbed, 15-16 min.
- PREP HALLOUMI: Meanwhile, pat the halloumi dry with paper towels. In another large bowl, whisk together the spice blend, 1 tbsp lemon juice (double for 4 ppl), 1/2 pkg honey (1 pkg for 4 ppl), and as much cayenne as you like. Add a drizzle of oil – just enough to make the mixture runny. Add the halloumi slices and coat all over.
- COOK HALLOUMI: Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the halloumi to the dry pan. (Keep the marinade in the bowl – we’ll use it later to drizzle over the finished dish!) Cook until golden-brown, 2-3 min per side.
- ASSEMBLE TABBOULEH: In the same bowl with the red onions, add the lemon zest, apples, tomatoes, parsley, half the mint and a drizzle of oil. (Taste and add more lemon juice, 1 tsp at a time, if you want the tabbouleh more tangy.)
- FINISH AND SEVER: Stir the bulgur into the tabbouleh. Divide the tabbouleh between plates and serve with the smoky halloumi slices. Sprinkle with the remaining mint and drizzle with the remaining marinade.
Notes: Well…. this recipe certainly isn’t vegan-friendly, but I just had to test it out anyways. I’ve had Halloumi before and it is pretty darn good. It’s absolutely wonderful when fried, and the marinade included in this recipe was to die for. All the flavours went so well together, I wouldn’t have changed a thing about the recipe. The apple complimented the Halloumi perfectly, as did the parsley. If I wasn’t vegan I would have eaten the entire dish (2 servings) in one sitting. I think this is one of my favourite recipes from HelloFresh thus far.
HelloFresh is a meal kit delivery service! We plan, prep, shop, and deliver fresh ingredients straight to your door!