Chef’s Plate Review: Spicy Chipotle Tortilla Soup
Chef’s Plate is a subscription service that delivers chef-designed recipes and fresh ingredients each week. There is no subscription or membership fee to join. Their recipes range from $8.99 per serving on the Family Plan up to $12.95 on the 15 Minute Meal Plan.
Chef’s Plate is a staple in our house. Each week our delivery arrives in an insulated box. It is shipped overnight to ensure everything is fresh and cold when it arrives at our door. Each recipe is packaged in it’s own paper bag, the ingredients are pre-portioned and the recipes are easy to follow.
Chef’s Plate has 3 subscription options to choose from:
Classic: The widest selection of recipes in one meal plan. Starting at $9.99 per serving. Choose 2-4 recipes per week. Each recipe is 2-4 servings.
Family: Exciting recipes the whole family will enjoy. Starting at $8.99 per serving. Choose 2-4 recipes per week. Each recipe is 2-4 servings.
Vegetarian: Delicious vegetarian recipes packed with fresh produce, whole grains and plant-based protein. Starting at $9.99 per serving. Choose 2-4 recipes per week. Each recipe is 2 servings.
We order 3 new Chef’s Plate recipes each week, and have been since August of 2016. Here’s a look at one of the recipes we received this past week….
Spicy Chipotle Tortilla Soup
Smoky and rich, this steaming tortilla soup doles out serious Tex-Mex flavour into your bowl. Tomatoes and creamy beans simmer with Mexican-style spices and smoky chipotle pepper – If you can handle the heat!
- 398 mL Borlotti Beans
- 56 g Monterey Jack Cheese
- 113 g Sweet Corn
- 160 g Roma Tomatoes
- 113 g Yellow Onion
- 1 pc Vegetable Stock Reduction
- 85 g Tortilla Chips
- 45 g Sour Cream
- 28 g Tomato Paste
- 28 g Chipotles In Adobo
- 7 g Cilantro
- Soup Spice Mix (Ground Cumin · Dried Oregano · Ground Coriander · Taco Seasoning · Chili Powder · Sea Salt)
- read entire recipe card, wash and dry produce, chop cilantro, cut onion into 1/4 inch pieces, cut tomato into 1/4 inch pieces, roughly chop chipotle peppers
- in large pot heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat, add onion, cook until golden and softened, add soup spice mix, cook stirring often for 1 minute until toasted
- to the same pot add 2 cups warm water followed by chipotles, tomato paste, beans and can liquid, tomatoes, vegetable stock, bring to a simmer over high
- once simmering, reduce heat to medium, cook for 10-15 minutes until reduced slightly
- add corn and stir together, season with salt and pepper
- serve soup with sour cream dolloped over stop, sprinkle with cilantro and cheese, crunch tortilla chips over top or use for dipping.
Thoughts: During a time when we are making an effort to stay at home I must say how lovely it is to receive your groceries/meals delivered to your door. I have always loved Chef’s Plate but I am appreciating it even more now that we are #socialdistancing. We received our weekly delivery yesterday and I immediately got to work creating this first meal. I was in need of something super easy to prepare and wanted a meal that was warm and comforting. What’s more comforting than a big bowl of warm soup?!
The Spicy Chipotle Tortilla Soup was SO easy to make. I prepared all my ingredients ahead of time (usually I prepare as I go) and it was a quick process after that. The end result was an amazingly delicious meal, full of flavour and perfect for an evening spent at home. I am adding the recipe card to my recipe binder as I will definitely be making this one again.
A subscription service that delivers chef-designed recipes and fresh ingredients each week. There is no subscription or membership fee to join.